Friends Around the World, Join Us!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gas Leak

We are now on letter G with ABC Wednesday. Call it a coincidence but today, my husband discovered that our gas is leaking. He was at our garage playing with our dog when he smelled the gas. He called the gas company and they sent someone immediately.
The service utility man poked a meter on the ground and saw a 100% gas leak. He shut off our Gas line because it's too dangerous. According to him, any spark can ignite the gas leaks and blow our house. Oh my G... imagine, how scary that is. So hubby started making calls for plumbing services to have the pipe dug out. The first one to came gave us an estimate of $1,100. I almost fell in my chair lol.
The service utility man overheard the guy who came and pulled my husband aside and recommended somebody he knows. Hubby called the recommended one, he came over and gave us an estimate of $650. Oh thanks God, that's 400 bucks less than the first. The good thing is that, according to the two employees who came from the city told us that they are going to pay for the reconstruction of the sidewalk, so hooray for that.
Don't you just love those  surprises?  But that is  the price you pay when you own a home... expect the unexpected.. expenses that is.  So tonight, we won't  have  a furnace and hot water (until  Thursday).  We went to my FIL and took our night time shower.  Luckily, we have two  portable electric heater  that we bought last year that could keep us warm while  being out of furnace.  I am also glad that our stove is electric and not gas.

I realized one thing, although we don't have gas, it's fine with me because  we have electric.  When you don't have electric, it's worse isn't it?  At least with electric, I can still cook, wash clothes, and blog weee.

Gas leak is being linked to  ABC Wednesday.  GOD is Great.  He spared us from having an unimaginable accident.


  1. Thanks to God for sure! You are safe. What an amazing occurrence today.

  2. oh my...God is good golly...nakakatakot naman yon sis...buti naagapan agad.

    a quick dalaw here lang po...mwah!

  3. At least you are all safe! That's God's protection round--aclock.

    Midweek visit here, Rose.



  4. Good grief! Where do you live? Here, the gas company would pay for the repair work. Just glad you're all safe! Have a great week,

    ABCW Team

  5. How ghastly - that is one surprise you don't want! Glad you're OK.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

  6. delikado talaga yan mga nag leak especially nga gas pa .. Thanks God your all safe :)

  7. scary, and annoying to boot. good luck w that.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

  8. good thing the leak was detected in time and your lives saved!

  9. I would not like this kind of surprise!
    Glad that you are okay, please take care!
    hugs and happy Wednesday
    Léia - Bonjour Luxembourg

  10. It is good you averted a disaster! And good that the service utility man helped you find a better price as well. Stay safe!

  11. Oh my, that is really scary. Don't you see the news about what happened in Cali and Pennsylvania? It's because of a gas leak. I don't want to imagine nor think about it. Keber if you would spend $$$ as long as everybody is safe, remember we can find $$$ all the time but not our life and the life of our loved ones. And one thing too Mommy Rose GOD IS SO GOOD!!
    ABC Wednesday-G

  12. OMG that was scary!!! Good to know you're safe

  13. I'm glad it was discovered. I hate those extra expenses but it would be much worse if there was an explosion.

  14. Gas leaks are so frightening! So glad you are all safe and sound!
    For me last week after the ice storm, I was very happy to have gas (stove and fireplace) because the electricity went out. We could cook and stay warm.
    Thanks for sharing your scary story with the happy ending!
    HelenMac, ABC Wednesday team

  15. na..good that it was taken care of before anything happened. God is there..hehe! godbless!

  16. What an ordeal. Luckily the leak was discovered before tragedy occurred. When these things happen, you just have to bite the bullet and write the check.

  17. God had angels watching over you for sure! good thing your hubby smelled the leak! we have all electric & many storms knock it out, no fun at all... can not even flush the toilet! Stay safe.
    Faythe @ GMT

  18. Glad nothing nasty has happened!
    and I know what you mean with "expect the unexpected.. expenses that is"

    Have a happy week****

  19. Wow, that's a very dangerous situation. Luckily John was able to detect the gas leak in time before any catastrophic accident could have happened. It is unfortunate though that you have to shell out $650 plumbing cost to fix it. Well, the Lord will send you more opps to compensate for that expense, hehehe. Ingat lang kayo palagi at dagdagan mo pa ang prayers mo. That was a close call if I ever saw one. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

  20. Oooh...scary stuff when you have a gas leak.
    Thank goodness everything will be solved...
    Thanks for visiting.


I love comments so leave me a line or two and I will follow your trail and comment back.

About Me

My photo

A work-at-home-mom (WAHM) with  two  lovely kids and a loving husband.  Passionate in writing about  family, product reviews, and  other related articles.  A Mom, a Wife,  a Blogger/Writer, rolled into one.